HSBC restored access to its mobile and online banking platforms in the United Kingdom after a disruption that began at about 11:00 BST on Wednesday and left thousands of customers unable to view accounts or make digital transactions. The bank said card payments, telephone banking and branch services were unaffected. Outage-tracking website Downdetector logged a surge of complaints during the incident, which lasted roughly two hours. HSBC apologised for the failure, described the issue as a technical fault and said engineers worked “as a matter of urgency” to resolve it, announcing a full recovery shortly after 15:00 BST. The breakdown adds to scrutiny of the resilience of British retail banks’ IT systems. A parliamentary report in March found nine leading lenders suffered more than 800 hours of unplanned outages over the previous two years, disrupting access for millions of customers.
HSBC UK Announces That Previously Reported Banking Service Disruption Has Been Fully Resolved. 🏦🇬🇧
HSBC UK Announces That Previously Reported Banking Service Disruption Has Been Fully Resolved.
HSBC has apologised after customers were left unable to access online banking or use its app in the UK, preventing some from accessing their accounts. https://t.co/VMiTWxKVxn