The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights on Thursday concluded that Denver Public Schools violated Title IX by converting a girls’ restroom at East High School into a multi-stall, all-gender facility and by maintaining a districtwide policy allowing students to use bathrooms that align with their gender identity. Acting Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights Craig Trainor said the policy “endangers” female students’ privacy and safety and therefore constitutes sex-based discrimination. Federal officials gave Colorado’s largest school district 10 days to accept a proposed resolution, which includes restoring all gender-neutral restrooms to single-sex use, or face “imminent enforcement action.” Potential penalties range from the loss of access to roughly $96 million in federal grants for the 2024-25 academic year to referral to the Justice Department for litigation. The finding marks a sharp shift from the approach taken under the prior Biden administration and fits into President Donald Trump’s broader effort to roll back local policies expanding protections for transgender students. Denver Public Schools said it had just received the ruling and is reviewing next steps.
Federal officials warned the district to revert its all-gender bathrooms to single-sex facilities or face enforcement action. https://t.co/W47ylqM027
US Education Department says Denver school's all-gender bathrooms violate Title IX https://t.co/ax8OeH6Ms9
Trump’s Department of Education ordered Denver Public Schools to revert all-gender restrooms to single-sex facilities or risk “enforcement action” after finding it discriminated against girls by creating all-gender bathrooms at East High School earlier this year. ⬇️ https://t.co/d7tWilVRqY