Israeli tank fire on the Nasser Medical Complex in Khan Younis on Monday killed at least 20 people, Gaza’s civil-defence agency said. Five of the dead were journalists covering the conflict: Reuters cameraman Hussam al-Masri, Al Jazeera cameraman Mohammed Salama, Associated Press freelancer Mariam Abu Dagga, NBC contributor Moaz Abu Taha and freelance reporter Ahmad Abu Aziz. Dozens of patients, medical staff and first-responders were also wounded. Witness footage indicates the hospital staircase was struck twice within about nine minutes, with the second blast detonating as journalists and rescuers converged on the scene—a tactic critics describe as a “double-tap” strike. Nasser is the largest functioning public hospital in southern Gaza and had been a frequent live-broadcast location for international news agencies. The Israel Defense Forces said an initial inquiry found troops had targeted what they believed was a Hamas surveillance camera monitoring their movements. The military asserted that six militants were killed and that reporters from Reuters and the Associated Press were “not a target”, but provided no evidence for the camera claim and offered no explanation for the second round of fire. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called the incident a “tragic mishap” and said the IDF was conducting a full investigation. The United Nations, the Committee to Protect Journalists and governments including France and Germany demanded accountability, noting that international law protects both medical facilities and media workers. The attack deepens concern over the rising toll on Gaza’s health sector and press corps. According to the Gaza Health Ministry, Israel’s 22-month offensive has killed more than 62,000 Palestinians, while the Committee to Protect Journalists counts at least 189 local reporters slain—making the conflict one of the deadliest for media workers on record.
Why Israel targeted Nasser Hospital. https://t.co/SqGBMnQF9q
Inside the Double-Tap Strike on Gaza’s Largest Hospital #Gaza #NasserHospital @falasteen47 for @incontextmedia https://t.co/xCb83kv1S3
مراسل الجزيرة مباشر: 40 شهيدا جراء الاستهدافات الإسرائيلية في مناطق متفرقة بقطاع غـ ـزة منذ فجر اليوم #الجزيرة_مباشر https://t.co/7v7gi2YeHh