UN Secretary-General António Guterres on Thursday condemned what he called an “endless catalogue of horrors” unfolding in the Gaza Strip, nearly two years after Israel launched its war against Hamas. Speaking at UN headquarters, Guterres said the territory was “piled with rubble, piled with bodies and piled with examples of what may be serious violations of international law,” and he urged accountability for alleged abuses. His remarks came as Gaza’s civil defence agency reported that Israeli air-strikes and gunfire killed at least 40 people across the enclave on 28 August. The Israeli military said it was preparing to expand operations against Hamas in Gaza City while urging civilians to move south for their safety. Media access restrictions prevent independent verification of battlefield claims, but footage showed fresh plumes of smoke over the territory’s largest city. Humanitarian conditions continue to deteriorate. The United Nations last week declared a famine in Gaza governorate and estimates that virtually the entire population of more than two million people has been displaced at least once. Aid agencies warn that food supplies are at "breaking point" as fighting intensifies, and UN officials say relief efforts are hampered by persistent security and access constraints. International pressure on Israel to curb its campaign has grown, including criticism from within the country, yet Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government maintains that operations will continue until Hamas is defeated. Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich this week suggested annexing parts of Gaza unless the militant group disarms—an idea Hamas denounced as advocacy of ethnic cleansing.
Guerre dans la bande de Gaza : l'ONU dénonce une horreur "sans fin", Israël intensifie ses opérations https://t.co/zBwCpsfs46
UN chief condemns 'endless' Gaza horrors as Israel presses offensive #ARYNews https://t.co/wn5M1zUDsB
Gaza horrors ‘without parallel in recent times’ – UN chief https://t.co/tcCbbHbGCp