Israeli troops carried out an overnight airborne raid on a former Syrian army site near al-Kiswah, south-west of Damascus, after two consecutive days of airstrikes on the area, Syrian state media and military sources said. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported two waves of roughly a dozen strikes before commandos were inserted by helicopter, describing the operation as Israel’s deepest ground incursion in Syria since President Bashar al-Assad was toppled in December 2024. Syria’s foreign ministry said six soldiers were killed in the initial bombing on Tuesday. State media added that Syrian forces had discovered surveillance and communications equipment at the nearby Jabal al-Maneh site shortly before Wednesday’s strikes, and that Israeli troops destroyed part of the alleged network during the raid. Israel has not confirmed details, but Defence Minister Israel Katz said its forces operate “day and night in all combat zones,” while Israeli broadcaster Kan reported the target was an air-defence base previously used by Iranian units. The Damascus raid came hours after brief Israeli ground incursions in the Quneitra border region and coincides with intensified Israeli operations around Gaza City. As pressure mounts to end nearly two years of fighting in the coastal enclave, U.S. President Donald Trump gathered senior officials in Washington to discuss a post-war plan for Gaza.
The IDF and Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT) issued a message Thursday as forces prepare to expand operations against Hamas in Gaza City. COGAT head Maj. Gen. Ghassan Alian said Israel rejects Hamas’s “false starvation campaign,” stressing that https://t.co/1JJydhHHha
Israeli forces conducted an airborne raid on a site near the Syrian capital after bombing it several times, Syrian state media reported. https://t.co/b3dIl4YO88
Syrie: opération de commando israélien près de Damas, selon un média local ➡️ https://t.co/jIBF4Io13c https://t.co/yYXSAGOC9i